We'll amplify what makes you unique and help you lead your market
Why differentiation matters
Market leaders in every industry have one thing in common: a clearly defined brand. An authentic, memorable brand attracts clients and top talent and sets the tone for everything from your daily operations to long-term growth. We understand the intangible aspects of the professional services industry and our process will help you to communicate your unique difference and thus, your expertise more effectively.
Business today is a fiercely competitive environment. A well-executed brand strategy can increase financial performance and even lead to market leadership. When you implement a program to distinguish your brand and keep it top-of-mind, you consistently reinforce your firm’s leadership position, and ensure that you are on the short list for clients and recruits who drive growth and financial success.
Learn more about how we’ve helped our clients and get in touch.
How we approach it
The first step in brand leadership is to articulate a positioning strategy that communicates your value proposition—a reason why prospects choose you over your competition. This strategy is the foundation for all brand expression, from websites and marketing collateral to pitches, presentations, advertising, and public relations and social media programs.
Steps in our process include: • Establishing a small internal team to spearhead the process • Conducting due diligence on your organization, your clients, and your competitors • Interviewing key internal stakeholders and clients • Conducting appropriate research to assess your firm’s market standing • Analyzing the competition • Articulating a differentiated positioning strategy • Developing a plan to implement the positioning and build your brand • Conducting internal branding workshops to equip your team to use and amplify your brand
Deep, extensive experience
Decker Design has established expertise in three verticals: Law firm branding and marketing, financial services communication and social impact design programs. Drawing on decades of experience, we have a deep understanding of these markets and what drives clients, customers and potential employees to choose you over the competition.
Law Firms We have created some of the industry’s most successful branding, digital communication and recruiting campaigns for large, multi-practice and multi-office firms, as well as firms focused on specialized practices, sectors, or geographies.
• For five years we evolved the brand and all communication platform of a now AM Law top 50 firm as it embarked on an aggressive growth plan. We were charged with developing positioning strategy, helping the firm integrate the brand platform internally and communicating the value proposition externally through advertising and other media.
• For a global firm, we developed a North America recruitment program that was one of the most successful in the firm’s history.
• For the same firm we led a UX/UI update of the firm’s global website working with five international offices leading to increased digital traffic.
• For a leading litigation firm we developed the positioning platform and branding platform, designing, among other tools, a distinctive website that reinforces the firm’s leadership and reputation.
• For numerous firms, we developed positioning platforms and branding platforms, managing the execution of, among other tools, distinctive websites that position the firms as market leaders.
Financial Services We have helped develop some of the industry’s most impactful communications for Fortune 100 companies as well as firms that are regional or sector specialists. We are well versed with the US regulatory environment as well as program implementation on an international scale.
• For the world’s largest asset manager we led the design strategy for a multi-disciplinary team to design a new visual marketing system leading one of the most innovative visual programs across the industry.
• For one of the world’s largest banks we redesigned all private banking communications across three specialized subdivisions during an eight-year engagement.
• For one of the world’s most prominent investment banks we redesigned its most significant corporate philanthropy programs leading to increased engagement.
Social Impact Organizations We bring our experience from commerce into work for organizations that are mission driven. Often challenged with limited resources, these groups benefit from our experience and extensive network of support.
• For one of New York City’s leading environmental groups we developed the brand platform, identity, and digital tools that have enhanced its profile and fundraising efforts.
• For a branch of the federal government, we redesigned data and information graphics to be compliant for persons with disabilities and create more engagement with state and local governments.
Our specialized focus in the legal, financial and social impact industries allows us to support our clients in bold ways throughout the entire process, uncovering insights and providing value that often generates long-standing collaborative partnerships.
We also work within certain financial guidelines to ensure the quality of our work. Our minimum annual engagement is $50,000 in agency fees, with most clients spending between $150,000 and $350,000. Our minimum initial engagement is $35,000.
Lynda Decker President and Creative Director
Lynda Decker is a multidisciplinary designer whose work encompasses brand strategy and identity, interactive communication, publications, information graphics and design criticism. A native New Yorker, Lynda is a graduate of Syracuse University and School of Visual Arts and holds multiple MFA degrees in design. She was fortunate to land her dream job after college working on U&lc for the typographic design legend Herb Lubalin and mentored by Herb’s partner, the typographic genius, Tony DiSpigna. Her love of typography has never waned.
Before founding Decker Design in 1996, she spent ten years in advertising at McCaffrey and McCall, Backer Spielvogel Bates and Wells, Rich Greene where she won every major award including the Clio, the Art Director’s Club, the One Show, Graphis, AIGA, and the Print Regional Annual. Decker Design continues to receive recognition from its peers.
She has served as vice president of the AIGA New York Chapter and is currently the national co-chair of the Women Lead Initiative where she is the driving force behind the Double or Nothing campaign for gender equity in the workplace, in partnership with IBM, Quartz and other leading agencies.
Lynda Decker is supported by a team of designers and account managers. Decker Design is very proud that our leadership team is 80% female against an industry standard of 11%.
Susanne Adrian Lead Designer, Brand
Susanne Adrian’s award winning work bridges brand strategy, interactive communication, publications, and information graphics. Susanne is a native of Frankfurt, Germany and holds a degree in Communication Design from University of Applied Arts Darmstadt, Germany. She later received a Fulbright Scholarship to the U.S.
As a key member of the Decker team she has been recognized by Print, How, Graphic Design USA and Graphis for her work for Boies Schiller Flexner, Blackrock, and Mutual of America. Susanne is a community advocate for housing rights on New York’s lower east side.
Kelly Bryan Lead Designer, Interactive
Kelly Bryan is a gifted interactive designer with extensive experience in creating user centered web experiences. Prior to joining Decker she has worked in the tech start-up industry creating interfaces and custom templates for SaaS. While working for several notable New York studios she designed branding and print for institutions such as Yale, the New York Public Library and the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston. She holds undergraduate degrees in Sociology from UC San Diego and a Graphic Design degree from Parsons School of Design. Kelly is a self-proclaimed bookworm and contributes to our copy and content development.
Kevin Lamb Lead Designer, Data visualization
A longtime member of the Decker team, Kevin Lamb is an information specialist where he has worked with numerous clients and projects including the Waterfront Alliance Scorecard. Kevin has also been lead designer for many financial services clients including American Funds Group/Capital Research and AXA Alternative Investments. Kevin holds a BA in Fine Art from Lewis University, and brings a strong aesthetic and sense of craft from his work in photography and fine art lithography.
Shannon Hughes Lead, Account Management
Managing both internal and external production teams, Shannon Hughes provides leadership to Decker Design’s client engagement efforts. Her experience extends across print, web and broadcast communications, and she has been instrumental to the on-going success of engagements with our clients. Before joining Decker ten years ago, Shannon worked in broadcast video. She holds a BS from Frostburg State University.